RECIPE CREATED BY CHEF LISA ZHANG OF THREE FOLD NOODLES+DUMPLING CO IN LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS. SHARED WITH PERMISSION. SERVES 4-6
(2) 14 ounce boxes of fresh tofu (soft or firm will do)
4-6 large cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons minced ginger
4 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
2 tablespoon fermented black beans
4 ounce ground fresh chili paste (such as Sambal Olek)
2 ounce soy sauce
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
4 tablespoon cooking oil
½ cup water
- Rinse the tofu and cut into ½” cubes. Drain of any excess liquid.
- Heat cooking oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger and green onion to the pan and sauté until fragrant, being careful not to burn.
- Add the chili paste to the pan and sauté for just a couple of seconds.
- Pour in the soy sauce and cook until boiling. This also should take just a few seconds.
- Add water and sugar to the pan. Bring the sauce to boil.
- Once the sauce is boiling, add the tofu to the pan, stirring gently to coat each cube with the sauce. Bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes over medium-high heat, to reduce the sauce so that the tofu is well coated.
- Serve and enjoy!