1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
2 tablespoons. ketchup
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon sweet relish
1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce or Sriracha
1 pinch black pepper
1 pinch smoked paprika
In a medium mixing bowl, add all ingredients. Stir to blend.
2 tablespoons soybean oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons Tamari
1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried mustard
1 teaspoon dried coriander
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1-8 ounce package Tempeh, cut into 8 strips
1 tablespoon soybean oil
4 tablespoons vegan butter, divided
4 slices rye bread
1 cup sauerkraut, divided
½ cup onion rings, sautéed, divided
½ cup red pepper, sliced, sautéed, divided
1. Place the first 11 ingredients in a small glass bowl, mix to blend.
2.Add tempeh, marinate for at least 1 hour. Heat skillet or griddle add 1 tablespoon oil.
3. Add tempeh, cook tempeh for about 3 minutes each side until browned, remove from heat.
4. Spread 1 tablespoon vegan butter on 2 slices of rye bread, place on hot griddle, slather with Russian Dressing.
5. Top with equal amounts of tempeh, 1/2 cup sauerkraut, 1/2 cup sautéed onions and red peppers.
6. Top with second slices of rye that is also spread with Russian Dressing, place dressing side down on the slices of bread.
7. Cook until the bottom slices are browned, about 2 minutes.
8. Spread the top slices of bread with remaining vegan butter.
9. Carefully flip the sandwich over to brown the other side.
10. Serve while hot.
Yield: 2 sandwiches.
Recipe and Photo Credit